I have planned to do the majority of racing in 2017 on my fixed gear Wabi but was a little down on not having any sort of power monitoring. I didn’t want to spend a fortune on a power solution (many of which don’t work on fixed gear) and I had read a good review on the “Powerpod” on DCRainmaker so I decided to give it a go. It comes with it’s own software but I plan to use it with the Garmin and Strava.
I have to be honest in that I am very skeptical that the system can work but It should be ideal for comparative work on the fixed gear Merckx style TT bike. My first riding impressions was that the numbers were all wrong but after about 15 minutes the device seemed to settle down. I did a few efforts and the numbers seemed to be correct by the seat of my pants. It still seemed to under read compared to my other power meters on tailwind sections as I saw some very low numbers.
I put in a proper TT effort on the Dagnino Dead End Strava segment and did 311W. This number felt just about right but only got me my 86th best effort for this segment. My pulse average was 164bpm which shows I was at race pace (based on my new 10bpm lower maximum pulse). I am shocked just how slow I got.